Stunning second half performance wins it for Tummery

Stunning second half performance wins it for Tummery

May 5th, 2023

Tummery travelled to strathroy road tonight to take on mulhern cup finalists Strathroy Harps in Mercer League action. This game is always a mount watering contest and tonight was no different. Benny Boyle’s harps in fine form lately would prove a tough nut to crack for Ryan’s men.

Midfield maestro player manager Ryan Hanna deputising between the posts in the absence of net minder Niall McCrory was one notable change to the starting tummery eleven, with Colm Garrity starting at centre midfield the other change. Neil Quigley was in charge of proceedings. Tummery started the game well and for the first fifteen minutes they had the better chances and share of possession. But on 16 minutes netminder Hanna attempted to clear the ball and it was sliced up in the air and the wind blowing it back towards goal and he caught it, Neil Quigley giving a free kick within the 18 yard box, Simon O’Neill finished it to the net to send harps 1 in front. Things went from bad to worse for tummery less than a minute later when Declan McNulty’s attempted clearance ended up in the tummery net. Less than 5 minutes later Paul Lowe hit the post from another free kick. Tummery settled more in to the game for the rest of the half and dealt well with the two hammer blows, Paudi Dillon creating havoc in the strathroy defensive third, he should of had a penalty only for his honesty in the 37th minute. Paul Lowe picked up a yellow card for a professional foul on the 44th minute for stopping a tummery counter attack. Tummery headed to the dressing room 2 down and facing a massive uphill battle in the second half but would have the benefit of the gale force wind in the second half.

Ryan and Gerry rallied the lads in the dressing room and took to the field like caged animals in the second half penning strathroy in to their own box for the opening few minutes. Corey Wood was booked on 47 minutes for simulation in the tummery 18yard box.

On 51 minutes Martin Hughes halved the deficit driving the ball in to the left corner of the net from the edge of the box after Trojan work from Colm Garrity in the middle third. On 61 minutes James Garrity replaced Malachy McLaughlin. On 66 minutes tempers boiled over with Declan McNulty and Caolan McCrossan both picking up a yellow card for their involvement in the event. This drove tummery on even more and put fire in their bellies. On 71 minutes tummery were level when James Garrity headed home at the back post from a flicked on Adrian mccaffrey corner to send the tummery fans in to ecstasy. Paudi Dillon then tested the handling of McNamee releasing a rasping effort from the left of the box with mcnamee doing well to hold it with Hughes closing in for any spillages. Benny Boyle was then very luck or read the game well when he let a ball go past him to keeper McNamee with Paudi Dillon nearly getting on the end of it.

Strathroy created half chances but if any team was to create a winner it was looking like tummery at this stage as they pushed harder an harder for a winner. That winner should have came when a Oisin Gormley ball over the top was raced on to by Paudi Dillon he took a touch an raced in on goal an finished it to the net only for referee Quigley to blow it up for offside, a decision that enraged all the claret an blue faithful. On 82 minutes Paul McHugh rattled the cross bar with keeper McNamee well an truly beaten.

On 90 minutes Gary McGuigan was introduced for Kevin McAleer to add more fire power up front with Aidy McCaffrey dropping back in to centre midfield. Gary went on a lovely run down the left and it ended up in a corner the ball was whipped in from the right hand side keeper mcnamee punching clear the ball was recycled to aidy mccaffrey on the right hand side of the box he shot an the ball ended in the top left corner of the net to send the tummery faithful absolutely bonkers. A stunning end to a stunning second half. The fight and character in this team is unbelievable they never accept that they are beat. A unbelievable come back that sends tummery to the top of the league with two games remaining.

Ryan Hanna and all in claret and blue tonight kudos to you all a inspired second half one I won’t forget for a while 🇱🇻🇱🇻👏🏻

To all our fans who travelled in big numbers I thank you all for cheering us on to the final whistle and believing we could turn this tie around.

Thanks to Neil Quigley for overseeing proceedings and wish you well for the rest of your season