Stalemate after a pulsating contest at Connolly Park

Stalemate after a pulsating contest at Connolly Park

April 16th, 2022

Tummery were on the road again today for the third time in three weeks making the shorter trip to Connolly park to take on scotty Robinsons NFC Kesh. On a mild April day there was a bumper crowd in attendance watching the contest between tummery and kesh with many neutrals watching on to see if tummery would slip or return to the summit of the F&W division one league.

Ryan made a change to the starting 11 from last week with himself out of the squad replaced by Martin Hughes up front an Ruairi deployed on the left of a front three. Craig Holley was the man entrusted with overseeing the encounter.

Craig got the game underway and tummery were playing against a tough breeze in the opening half. Both teams were playing nice football and there was little room for playing in the middle third before you were closed down by an opposition player. Tummery pushed hard all over the pitch and worked tirelessly Aaron McNulty whipping a ball across the box and met by the head of Paul McHugh who didn’t get enough contact on it to trouble McCusker in the kesh net. McCusker in the kesh net was trying to get Campbell with long goal kicks but each of them were carried by the wind out over the end line. Kesh had a number of corners but were well defended by tummery against the breeze.

Martin Hughes up front was causing havoc for the kesh back line holding the ball up and with Ruairi sludden stretching every sinu to close down every ball he got his reward when he robbed the ball of Palmer and played in Martin Hughes who’s shot was deflected wide for a corner. Tummery had a few free kicks in dangerous positions but didn’t beat cashel heading them away and then Ruairi Sludden’s effort didn’t beat the resolute kesh defensive wall. Ryan Campbell thought he was through on goal on 35 minutes when he went in pursuit of a ball behind the defence but the out rushing Niall McCrory got there in time an cleared his lines. A ball broke to Aaron McNulty an his rocket cross come shot went wide of the far upright. Tummery curtailed every kesh attack and worked tirelessly through the first half with Matty Callaghan well on top In the middle third. Craig brought proceedings to a halt with one minute of injury time played to leave it scoreless at the break.

Tummery took to the field in the second half with the significant wind at there back looking to break the deadlock. Aidy McCaffrey had a speculative effort from distance easily gathered by McCusker. Ryan Campbell probably should of scored when he was afforded too much space for once in the box and dragged his shot wide. On 74 minutes Martin Hughes rattled the kesh bar and the ball bounced back to the head of Ciaran Beacom who headed over the bar. Ruairi sludden had a rasping effort from all of 25 yards go narrowly over the bar clipping the top of the net what would of been a great goal. Ruairi again had an effort tipped around the post by McCusker after cutting in from the left. Aidy McCaffrey was replaced by Blain Campbell as Ryan wanted tinkered with the formation and late on James Garrity replaced Martin Hughes who put in a great shift up front today. Matty Callaghan again was well on top breaking up play and winning aerial duels. Niall McCrory kept a clean sheet and thwarted each kesh attack. Tummery pressed hard for a priceless goal but all our efforts were in vain as Craig brought proceedings to a halt with 95 minutes on the clock. Ciaran Beacom and Chris Crilly and Kevy McAleer and Aaron McNulty kept the dangerous kesh attackers goalless today with there hard work all game.

This point won today puts us back to the top of the league by the minimum with one home fixture left.

Thanks to NFC Kesh for a great game today and wish them all the best for the rest of the season.

Thanks to Craig Holley for overseeing proceedings and done a good job.

To all our travelling fans we thank you for making the journey to kesh today an cheering us on until the very end it’s been a long season but let’s come out for one more game at home against strathroy harps with all still to play for.

Our reserves head to Ferney park on Wednesday night for a reihill cup semi final against Dunbreen Rovers we wish them finty and the lads all the best let’s do this guys 🇱🇻🇱🇻